Where to start?
1. Boats - New ones, used ones, red ones, blue ones...
2. Maintenance - Enough said...
3. Tips, Tricks and Techniques - How the (expletive deleted) do I do this??
4. Industry Happenings - This won't be often, since other blogs do it better.
5. Industry Publications - What the trade publications are saying...
6. Events - like my beloved Newport Boat Show (*sigh*).
I've been known to draw outside the lines - actually, I can't draw at all - but for the most part you can expect these blogs to follow those general patterns.
Today, I touch briefly on terminology. On a boat, there ain't no 'front, back, left, right.' Here's a useful graphic:
This image shows the basic sections of a boat, which I won't detail as most people are vaguely familiar with them (I think?). Instead, let's examine some more complex terms:
Athwartships: in a direction at right angles to the fore-and-aft (bow to stern) line of the vessel
Amidships: In the middle of the boat
Cockpit: Space somewhere behind the helm where people can gather
Helm: The station from which a captain operates the boat
Abaft: Any part of the vessel aft of amidships
There are others I'll add as time goes on - for now, this will help you get through some fancy lingo you might find in trade magazines and videos!
Now get out there and go boating!