|Shurhold Starter Kit - Courtesy, Shurhold|
This month is all about recommissioning, as boaters across the northern latitudes are gearing up for another great summer season. So, naturally, I dove into research about the best products and solutions for bringing back your boat's factory shine.
If you've been reading along with me so far, you know that I am fairly strict about having a cleaning regimen. Boats need to be clean in order to survive any fair length of time. To that effect, your spring clean-up is potentially one of the most important maintenance plans you can adopt. Spring is a good opportunity to buff and wax the boat and protect it for the entire season. But with so many waxes, so many tools, and so many horror stories, where to begin?
Let's fast forward through my time spent suctioned to my couch researching the ins and outs of waxes, polishes, compounds, polymers, and chemical and mechanical properties of fiberglass cleaning. My recommendation is Shurhold. Here's why:
- Shurhold does an excellent job explaining what the options are for making your boat shiny, in plain english. In fact, the President himself hosts, and he does a good job.
- Shurhold offers video tutorials that, most impressively, do side-by-side comparisons between product options so you can see the effects for yourself.
- The videos debunk the myths surrounding the differences between buffing, compounding, waxing, and sealing. Bottom line: you buff, then you seal with a polymer. Wow, that was easier than I thought.
- After explaining why Shurhold products are better, the President walks you through step-by-step instructions on how to use the products. It looks darn easy (you might say they look Clean-N-Simple). In addition, I learned all kinds of new things about effective wheel RPMs, orbital vs. circular movements, and proper pressure and angle techniques.
- An entire set of products, along with the dual-action polisher, can be had on Amazon for around $250, including the buffing compound, polish, and a 36-pack of microfiber cloths. That's what it would cost for me to have someone buff the boat for me (below the rub rail ONLY) in one season. That means next season I'll be saving a boat-load of money.
- The reviews are stellar. Yes, these are on Shurhold's website, but check out Amazon too - same sparkling comments.
Stay tuned, and be sure to share your methods and products for making your boat shiny as new!